1.1 The Command Area Development and Water Management (CAD&WM) Programme has to be implemented in a holistic manner pari-passu with irrigation project under Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP) so that irrigation potential created (IPC) with hydraulic connectivity gets utilized soon after its creation, improves water use efficiency, increases agricultural productivity and production and brings sustainability in the irrigated agriculture in a participatory environment. All aspects of the CAD&WM Programme need be taken up in an integrated and coordinated manner so as to achieve the envisaged objectives of raising food grains production to meet the increasing need for growing population.
1.2 During XII Five Year Plan, following broad activities are to be covered under the scheme:
• Coverage of ongoing CAD&WM projects, completed/ on-going and new projects and for Extension, Renovation & Modernization (ERM) of old CAD&WM projects;
• At least 10% of the CCA of each project under Micro-irrigation in lieu of OFD;
• Survey, planning, design and execution of On-Farm Development (OFD) works, construction of field, intermediate & link drains, correction of system deficiencies and reclamation of waterlogged areas;
• Software activities like trainings, monitoring, evaluation, demonstration w.r.t. water use efficiency and adaptive trials;
• To provide one time functional grant & infrastructure grant to registered Water Users’ Associations (WUAs) in project areas to be covered,
• New components to be taken up for mechanised land leveling in hilly areas & special category States and laser leveling in selected areas; and
• To provide one time central assistance to WALMIs/IMTIs for strengthening of infrastructure.